Welcome to the online home of Cypress Elementary School! We are thrilled that you stopped by. Located in Tulare, California, Cypress Elementary is one of 16 schools within the Tulare City School District. We provide a nurturing environment and a challenging core curriculum to a diverse group of students in kindergarten through fifth grade. For more information on our district services, please visit our district site.
We have created this site to best help you learn about Cypress Elementary and all that it has to offer you and your child. Get to know our teachers and be sure to check on important upcoming dates and events. Please, jump right in and explore!
Successful Study Tips
After parent conference time I’m frequently asked the question, “What can I do at home to help my child succeed in school?” This is a great question that I enjoy answering, because it reinforces the idea that helping your child be successful in life is a partnership between school and home.
Following are some tips from the U.S. Department of Education Parent Involvement Commission that will help to motivate your child and establish good study practices.
- Create a home environment that encourages learning and schoolwork. Establish a daily family routine of mealtimes with time for homework, chores, and bedtime as well as time for family activities.
- Show your child that the skills he is learning in school are an important part of the things he will do as an adult. Let him see you reading books, newspapers, and computer screens; writing reports, letters, e-mails, and lists; using math to figure change or to measure for new carpeting; and doing things that require thought and effort.
- Make sure that your home has lots of reading materials that are appropriate for your child. Keep books, magazines, and newspapers in the house. You can find many good books and magazines for your child at yard or library sales. Books make good gifts.
- Encourage your child to use the library. Ask the librarian to tell your child about special programs that she might participate in, such as summer reading programs and book clubs and about services such as homework help.
- Limit TV viewing to no more than one hour on a school night. Be aware of the shows your child likes to watch and discuss his choices with him. The same goes for video games.
- Help your child learn to use the Internet properly and effectively.
- Encourage your child to be responsible and to work independently. Taking responsibility and working independently are important qualities for school success.
- Show an interest in what your child does in school. Support her special interests by attending school plays, musical events, science fairs or sporting events.
- Offer praise and encouragement for achievement and improvement.
Finally, don’t forget to visit the Tulare Public Library. They have free tutoring available and many resources and activities going on all the time. Visit Tulare Public Library's website for more information.